The test weave became a proper weave, the fastest one ever. I put up a 4 meter long warp, 51 cm wide.
I had so little yarn of the same colour so I decided to make the warp striped in thin stripes. I had a light green dyed with something I can’t even remember. The yellow is dyed with onion skins. The brown is naturally brown. But the brown was a little bit thicker than the others so I misjudged how much I had. That meant I had to use some extra treads in reddish colour, madder, so the warp would be as long as I planned.
Here is a picture of the warp on the mill.
I wanted to get a thick and strong weave so I choose a tabby as a binding, just like the pieces at the museum.
Here is a picture on the weave in the loom.
As you can see I did use weft in different colours too. I had some old failed madder dyed yarn, nöthårsgarn, a mix of wool and cow hair yarn (I once made a rug out of it, really ugly!). The wool mix is a rough and hard yarn and it’s famous for it’s ability to keep out water and its ability to be itchy. I also had some old yarn in natural grey.
Here is another picture of the weave in the loom.
When weaving a weave with thick weft it is easy for the weft to ”crawl out” from the weave after the cutting down. I wanted to prevent that from happening so I tried a new trick. Sewing some stitches around the end edge before cutting the weave down.
Here it is outside, in the snow.
When seeing it I feel seasick. I really need to dye it, it’s like a hungover and it makes me wanna close my eyes when I see it